- approx. 900 ml / 30 fl oz chicken stock
- 50g / 1¾ oz butter
- 1 small onion, peeled, chopped
- 100 ml / 3½ fl oz dry white wine
- 300g / 10½ oz risotto rice (arborio / vialone nano)
- approx 16 – 20 peeled langoustines, cooked as above (or large prawns, peeled)
- 150g / 5½ peas (blanch frozen for 1 minute then drain well ; cook fresh until just done but still bright green)
- the grated zest 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 – 4 large basil leaves, shredded
- Bring the stock to a simmer, keep hot.
- Heat 25g / 1 oz butter in a large pan, cook the onion until soft.
- Add the rice, stir until coated in the fat and beginning to make a slightly crackly sound, then add the wine; cooking until evaporated.
- Add the hot stock ladle by ladle, stirring, only adding another ladle once it has been absorbed. After 15 minutes, add the prawns and peas. You may not need all the stock; it should take 18 – 20 minutes till the rice is al dente.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lemon then the parmesan then remaining butter. Cover, leave to stand for 5 minutes then stir in the basil and taste for seasoning.
- To serve, ladle into warm shallow bowls.
- Sue Lawrence, Cook, Author. A Cook’s Tour of Scotland
- Amazon Book